A: Although the two terms are often used interchangeably and to describe a few different types of living arrangements, homeowners apply to situations where the dwelling is occupant-owned. Home insurance includes coverage for owner-occupied dwellings (homeowners HO-3), tenant-occupied dwellings (renters HO-4), and condominium (condo unit owners HO-6).

  • HO-3 provides coverage for the structure, other structures, and occupants personal property

  • HO-4 provides coverage for occupant personal property (no coverage for the building)

  • HO-6 provides “walls-in” coverage for the occupant/owner of the unit from the wall finishes, into the unit, and personal property (no coverage for what is behind the walls or common areas)

Did this answer your question?